Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published Kickoff Call Redirect in Move the 117th Congress to Amend Campaign 2021-01-21 20:32:00 -0800
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published campaign_2021 in Move the 117th Congress to Amend Campaign 2021-01-21 15:43:45 -0800
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap wants to volunteer 2021-01-21 00:08:45 -0800
Our campaign goal is to secure 100 co-sponsorships for the #WeThePeopleAmendment (House Joint Resolution 48) by March 31, 2021.
To achieve this goal we have identified 135 priority targets based on previous co-sponsorship of the amendment, Pledge to Amend signers, caucus membership, location (districts where Move to Amend has passed initiatives), and voting record/time in Congress.
If your Representative is not on the list below you can definitely still target them, but we suggest starting with the closest Rep to you and recruiting constituents in that District to hold a meeting with their target Representative (or their legislative staff). Either way we will help you!
Here's what you'll need to do:
- Choose which Representative you're focusing on (see below for the target list, or if your Rep isn't on the campaign target list you can elect to lobby them instead)
- Recruit 3-5 constituents to join you for the meeting
- Schedule the meeting (a Move to Amend national organizer will join you for this meeting)
- Organize a prep call to prepare
- Hold the meeting and ask your Representative to co-sponsor HJR48
- Follow up
- If they don't sign on, time to escalate your tactics! We will help you plan an appropriate action from bombarding their office with phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign to dropping in at their house with Move to Amend petitions! We will work together to decide an appropriate escalation.
We'll provide you with all the tools and resources needed as well as organizing support. You can expect that this effort will take 2-5 hours a week.
--> View targets on spreadsheet (Google doc, opens in new window)
***Click on each task for related templates and instructions.
- Sign up to organize or participate in a lobby meeting on our website.
- We will follow up to connect you to our Slack organizing space and get you plugged in to the campaign
STEP 2 -- Recruit 3-5 Constituents to Commit to Join a Meeting with the Representative
- Send an email blast to the Move to Amend list asking people to sign up for the meeting
- Recruit your friends and neighbors through social media, email or text messaging
- Phonebank or text bank the Move to Amend list to ask people to commit to joining the meeting
STEP 3 -- Schedule the Meeting
STEP 4 -- Prepare for the Meeting
- Post the meeting date and time to the Move to Amend website to help promote
- Review background information about the #WeThePeopleAmendment
- Line up a Move to Amend national organizer to join you for the meeting
- Hold a prep call to review meeting roles and make sure you are each clear on what you'll say and how to make sure to get to the ask
- Send a blast to constituents on the Move to Amend list a few days in advance to ensure the office gets calls to put the #WeThePeopleAmendment on their radar before your meeting
STEP 5 -- Hold the Meeting
- Follow an agenda because you'll only have 20-30 minutes
- Take good notes, keep track of any questions you get that you can't answer on the spot and commit to follow up with the answer(s)
- Enter the details and notes to Move to Amend's national database
- Make a clear ask: Will you co-sponsor the #WeThePeopleAmendment (HJR48)?
STEP 6 -- Follow up!
- Send a thank you email with any info requests to the staffer(s) and mail a thank you note to the Representative
- Send email blasts to constituents on the Move to Amend list asking them to call each week to keep the pressure up
- In 2 weeks send an email and/or call the office and ask for response. Be persistent! Keep trying every 2-3 days until you get a response
STEP 7 -- Celebrate or Escalate!
- Often this is all it takes, especially for Representatives who agree with our goals. But if you don't have a commitment yet it is time to escalate your tactics. We will work with you to determine how to escalate appropriately, from stepping up the phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign, to car parades around their office, to delivering Move to Amend petitions to their home, and more!
Ready to Sign Up?
The #WeThePeopleAmendment will be introduced in Congress sometime in the next few weeks.
This amendment makes clear that only human beings have Constitutional rights (not corporations) and that money is not speech so that campaign spending can be regulated and big money can be eliminated from the political process.
This critical amendment is necessary to move forward on just about every other issue you care about, from climate change to election integrity to police brutality and human rights!
Our goal is to get at least 100 co-sponsors on the #WeThePeopleAmendment -- so we need at least 3-5 constituents in each district to hold a successful lobby meeting... sign up below!
The meetings will all be virtual and online and will take about 20-30 mins. Move to Amend organizers will help you prepare for the meeting and work with you to ensure it is a success!
What is needed to participate:
- High speed internet and computer with video capability (if this is a challenge for you, let us know and we will see if we can make it work)
- A passion for passing the #WeThePeopleAmendment to end corporate rule and get big money out of politics
- 1-2 hours to prepare your statement during the meeting and join a prep call with Move to Amend organizers and other volunteers
- 20-30 minutes during a week day (between 9am-5pm ET) for the meeting with your Representative and/or a member of their staff (to be scheduled by their office)
Can we count you in to join the meeting?Sign up
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published 2021 Campaign Recruiter in Move the 117th Congress to Amend Campaign 2021-01-19 11:11:03 -0800
Copy and paste the Personal Tracking Link below to social media and/or send it out in an email or text message to ask your friends to join the meeting with your Rep. We need 3-5 constituents lined up before we can hold the meeting, so start inviting people who also live in your Congressional District ASAP!
Here is example text to post to invite your friends to join you:
I'm working with Move to Amend to organize a virtual mtg w/Congressperson [YOUR REP'S LAST NAME] to call on [HER/HIM] to co-sponsor the #WeThePeopleAmendment to end corporate personhood & get big money out of politics. Will you join this important mtg with me?Start recruiting
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published Tell Your Senators to Convict Donald Trump! in Announcements 2021-01-13 18:48:08 -0800
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published We the People Lobby 2021 in Action Campaigns 2021-01-11 16:35:24 -0800
This year we need to secure 100 House of Representatives Co-Sponsors of House Joint Resolution 48 (the We the People Amendment) and have the amendment introduced in the U.S. Senate with 5 co-sponsors.
Join the Campaign!
STEP 1: Click here to sign up. We'll connect you with other Move to Amend supporters in your state/district to get started.
STEP 2: Review the Materials Below.
STEP 3: Schedule meetings with your Representative and/or Senators! Once scheduled, click here here to let us know the details about your upcoming meeting(s).
STEP 4: After your scheduled meetings, tell us the results! (FORM COMING SOON!)
Campaign Launch Webinar
This video is geared toward We the People Lobby Month in August, but all of the information is relevant beyond as well. You can schedule a lobby meeting with your Representative or Senators ANY TIME!
Become acquainted with what you will be asking for. Check out these resources:
- We the People Amendment (House Joint Resolution 48)
- Talking Points
- Amendment Comparison
- Corporate Constitutional Rights Background Information
Practice telling your story. We encourage you to practice telling your story in advance to increase confidence for your meetings.
Learn more about your Senators and Representatives. It is helpful to familiarize yourself with your members’ priorities and views by visiting their websites at www.senate.gov or www.house.gov. Also check to see if they have co-sponsored any of the competing amendment resolutions.
Be prepared to meet with your legislator’s legislative assistant. Your legislator may not attend the meeting. Staff may be young, but they are instrumental in shaping the legislator’s views. It is not unusual for the legislator to defer to his/her staff for an opinion on your issue. It is important to demonstrate respect to everyone you encounter during your visit.
Bring contact information. A business card from work, or a 2 x 3.5 inch card you print yourself, should contain your name, address and email information.
Plan to dress appropriately. Please wear clean and appropriate professional attire (suits, dress pants; shirts with ties; dresses; skirts and blouses; etc.) for your meetings with lawmakers. No jeans, sandals, flip flops or printed tee shirts.
Schedule Your Meeting(s)
Expect it to take about 2-3 weeks to land your meeting. Note that many offices will not confirm a meeting until 1 week out. Your Representative(s) should be available for most of the month of August so that might be a good time to plan to set up your meeting, when they are in District.
Our suggestion is that you try to meet with both your House member, to secure co-sponsorship of House Joint Resolution 48, and also meet with your Senators since our goal is to get the amendment introduced in the Senate this year too.
Appointments may either be made by emailing the legislator’s scheduling person, or by phone. Every office differs in their preferred scheduling process, so please check with them to determine which process to use. Be sure to be persistent if you don't get a response, and don't just rely on email alone!
“Hello, my name is [name] from Move to Amend. May I please speak to the in-District scheduler?” (Write down the scheduler’s name. Be sure to get the correct spelling.)
“I am a constituent of Representative / Senator [NAME] and I would like to schedule a virtual meeting with Representative / Senator [NAME] and/or her/his Legislative staff person the next time [she/he] is in District. I'd like to discuss the We the People Amendment (currently House Joint Resolution 48) and the importance of addressing the problem of big money in elections and corporate influence over the political and legal process."
"May we do this on the phone, or would you prefer an email or fax?”
At this point, you may either continue, or take down the email address. Although you should make every effort to get a meeting with the legislator, many times you will be referred to the appropriate staff person, e.g., the one who handles legislative or government affairs issues.
If you are able to continue on the phone, let the scheduler know who is coming:
“At this time, the following people will be attending: [list names and affiliations].
Note: You may have to contact the office several times before someone returns your call or confirms an appointment. Be persistent and proactive—you are calling as a voting constituent!
Dear [Name of Scheduler],
Volunteers with the national Move to Amend campaign would very much appreciate a virtual meeting with [Senator]/[Representative] [Name] the next time [she/he] is in District and/or [his]/[her] Legislative staff person to discuss the We the People Amendment (currently House Joint Resolution 48) and the importance of addressing the problem of big money in elections and corporate influence over the political and legal process.
Among attendees will be [Insert names of participants from the Rep’s home state and their towns]. There may be others at the meeting as well, but I am unable to confirm the names at this time.
Thank you so much for your consideration of our request.
Visit as a group if possible. The leader should start and conclude the meeting. One group member must take notes and report back the details of each meeting. Make sure you assign this task in your group before you are at the visit!
The constituents are most important. The legislators’ primary concern is whether you can elect him or her into office. If you live in the district you are important. The spokesperson should begin the meeting by identifying himself/herself as a constituent and introducing all participants, and briefly identify your request early in case time runs short.
Cover the priority issue. Now is the time you’ve been waiting for! Tell your story, and explain why passing the We the People Amendment is important to you. Make your remarks brief and to the point. Encourage them to learn more and do more.
Stay on topic. Be careful: a little chit-chat is acceptable, but be sure to stay on topic and not be drawn into storytelling—you’ll never know where the time went! Be concise and stick to the issue at hand, but do not rush the conversation. Don’t make statements that assume that others share your political views and be respectful when talking about all political leaders.
Solicit the legislator’s views on this issue. Review your request and do some research on your legislator. Has your legislator taken the Pledge to Amend? Have they endorsed other amendment measures? If they have shown support for similar measures thank them appropriately and encourage them to sign on to the We the People Amendment. If there is disagreement, avoid arguing with your legislator or their staff. Listen to his/her perspective and then present your views. You will enhance your effectiveness if you can demonstrate a willingness to participate in a friendly exchange of ideas.
Record the questions and responses of your legislator and their staff using the online reporting form - (FORM COMING SOON!) this is really important for follow up!)
Conclude your meeting. Make sure your legislator and/or staff has a copy of the briefing information and your primary contact information. Thank them for their time and offer to be a resource to them going forward.
Take a picture! Especially if you are a group, take your picture with your legislator or their staffer -- this is a historic day!
--> As soon as the meeting is over, please submit the Online Reporting Form (FORM COMING SOON!) to let us know the results of the meeting.
Thank Yous. Send a thank you letter to your Legislator or their staffer following the meeting. Thank the legislator and/or staff person for their time and reiterate your “ask” that they co-sponsor HJR 48. Put this letter in the mail as soon as you get home or mail it before you leave. [Example coming soon!]
Meeting Report Back Forms. The note taker should fill out this form ASAP after the meeting while the details are fresh in your mind. Use the notes from your printed report form(s) to file the online report so the details of your visit are recorded in the Move to Amend database.
Follow Up. One of the most important aspects of a lobby day is the follow up.
It will also be important to follow up about 2 weeks later if your legislator or their staff person did not give you a clear answer, or gave you a positive answer but then did not follow through with their commitment. Whether this is done by phone or email, or even another in person visit, the staffer and legislator will know you are serious if you follow up. Always be friendly and professional, and offer to provide additional information if it will help them to make a decision.
We recommend you email copies of these documents to the office in advance of the meeting:
- We the People Amendment Language
- Link to List of Current Co-Sponsors
- Dear Colleague Letter from Lead Sponsor Pramila Jayapal
- The We the People Amendment: The Constitutional Amendment to Counter Political Corruption and the Corporate Hijacking of the Constitution
- Side-by-Side Comparison: Move to Amend's We The People Amendment, (HJR 48) and the Democracy for All Amendment (HJR 2)
- Why Non Profit Corporations Do Not Need (or Have) Constitutional Rights
- List of Move to Amend Petition Signers in Congressional District (This information can be provided by MTA National by request if we have at least a week notice, preferably 2-3)
Citizen Lobbying Resources
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published Pledge To Amend 2019-2020 in Action Campaigns 2021-01-11 13:24:55 -0800
Target candidates for local, state and federal office to get their positions on record per the We the People Amendment and make this an election issue. Get 350 Pledge to Amend signups (at least 50% of candidates elected on election day).
Are you an elected officeholder who supports amending the Constitution to end corporate Constitutional rights and getting money out of politics? Take the Pledge to Amend!
The Pledge to Amend states:
I support amending the U.S. Constitution to make clear that corporations and other artificial entities do not have Constitutional rights and that money is not speech and campaign spending should be limited through regulation.
Where Do They Stand?
Join the Campaign
Pledge to Amend Campaign Resources
- Campaign Planning Guide
- Candidate Pledge Form (google doc) (print and bring to candidate debates and events)
- Sample Letter to Candidates
- Candidate Response Reporting Form
- Insider Information on Engaging Candidates
- Bird-Dogging Questions (pdf)
- Tips for Bird-Dogging Candidates
- Tips for Getting Candidate Responses on Video (pdf) - any bird-dogging videos you want to share can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voter Pledge for Download (pdf)
OK, are you ready to get started?
Let us know which races you want to target and what your plans are by filling out this survey. If there are others who respond who are in your area we will be sure to connect you so you don't duplicate efforts!
If you have questions contact us at email@example.com or call our office at 916-318-8040.
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published Join us tomorrow -- Dec 30 -- LIVE in Announcements 2020-12-29 16:33:05 -0800
Count down to the end of 2020 with Move to Amend!
Join us tomorrow -- Wednesday, December 30 at 1pm Pacific/4pm Eastern -- for a special livestream with Move to Amend grassroots volunteers, staff team and board members.
We'll share our successes from this part year, give some real talk about the challenges we have been struggling with, celebrate the wonderful and committed Move to Amend community (which definitely includes you, Kaitlin!) and talk about what we expect in the year ahead (to the extent that anything these days can be planned or expected!).
Those who donate during the livestream will be entered in a raffle to win a Move to Amend t-shirt or water bottle!Read more
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap published Move to Amend Community Call Recording in Announcements 2020-05-01 13:52:01 -0700
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap donated 2020-03-08 21:03:23 -0700