Intern with Move to Amend!
Move to Amend is the the national campaign to Abolish Corporate Personhood and get money out of politics through community organizing and grassroots movement building. We are mobilizing a movement to amend the US Constitution to establish that corporations are not people and that financial contributions to political campaigns are not free speech.
We are seeking bright, energetic folks to join our intern team! Move to Amend interns work with national staff and board as well as grassroots volunteers to further the mission of Move to Amend and learn important organizing skills.
Some things to note:
- All internships are telecommute so applicants must have access to reliable internet, computer with webcam, and phone.
- Unfortunately we do not accept applicants who will be working outside the US during any part of the internship cycle. No exceptions. Sorry!
- Please note the duration and time expectations of the internship cycle you’re applying for (below) and be sure you can commit the amount of time necessary before you apply.
- Please read application submission guidelines below. Applications submitted incorrectly will likely not be reviewed.
Dates and Details
2018 Fall Term
Interviews: May 28th - June 5
Acceptance Notice: June 8
Confirmation of Acceptance: June 15
Internship Dates: July 16-December 21 (23 weeks)
Hours: 20-35 hours per week depending on time of year, campaigns, etc.
Position Descriptions & Responsibilities
- Engaging new volunteers
- Researching legislation
- Responding to incoming email inquiries
- Setting up meetings with House and Senate staff
- Calling to thank donors
- Writing articles for publication
- Data entry
- Following up with candidate’s offices on legislative efforts
- Creating materials to support grassroots volunteers
- Helping with development projects
- Produce and find social media content
- Writing and sending press releases
- Helping support and plan speaking tours and events
- Supporting campaigns and projects
- Assist in the graphic design of print or Web-based material
- Research prospective media or speaking opportunities.
- Develop basic materials to help explain complex constitutional issues/questions to non-lawyers.
- Assist staff and board with donor cultivation
- Respond to information requests from Capitol Hill or State Legislators, the news media, and national organizations; developing ; and aiding issue advocacy campaigns, coalition building and media strategies.
- Attend, facilitate, and help with logistics for various events and meetings.
- Coordinate and train new affiliate leaders to use database and access Move to Amend organizing resources.
- Whatever else you want to help out with!
Requirements for Move to Amend Interns
- Be a superb writer who communicates in a precise, concise, accessible and persuasive manner
- Have strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Web applications, Google Docs, experience with Adobe design software a plus)
- Work hard and stay on task
- Pay attention to detail
- Excel working alone and with groups from afar
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Take responsibility for assignments and meet deadlines
- Flourish in an environment that is highly transparent and collaborative yet fast paced
- Possesses political savvy, and be knowledgeable about and interested in politics, policy, advocacy, and social movements
- Consume various types of media and be familiar with current events
- Have a strong passion for Move to Amend and the issues we address
- Have a literacy around social justice and intersectionality and an understanding of how it relates to resisting corporate rule
- Be flexible and adaptable
- Be a self starter and manage time independently
- Have healthy communication practices
Preferred but not required:
- Experience in organizing or activism
- Working knowledge of Drupal, Teamwork, CiviCRM, and Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign
Please attach all items as ONE pdf document in this order, max 5 pages total:
- Application form and questions (click to view Google document -- download to edit)
- Formal Cover Letter
If you have any questions contact jessica [at] movetoamend.org or call (916) 318-8040. Incomplete applications will not be considered.