On Wednesday October 21, Nick Komives, Toledo council member opened the fourth Annual event.
48 Zoomers were connect by virtual live zoom. We had 12 presenters and five council members present: Adams, Melden, McPherson, Komives and Gadus. Mayor Kapszukiewicz also joined and stayed for the 1 ½ hour duration. Each presentation averaged only five minutes and were concise, informed and articulate.
View the program at http://toledo.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=1&clip_id=983
The keynote remarks from Teresa Fedor were read by Dennis Slotnick, an Essay from a High School student, Rachel Alvina, and brilliant commentary on her winning essay, Pierrette Dagg.
There was not a single weak presentation, very little repetition and all profoundly convincing. We had representation from the following parties:
- Theresa Fedor SR 221 Co sponsor, Ohio Senator
- Petee Talley Ohio Unity Coalition - black voters
- Rachel Alvina High School essay
- Pierrette Dagg College essay
- Bob Lynn Labor and justice
- Julian Mack Black Lives Matter, Activist, Community concerns
- Greg Coleridge State Coordinator Move to Amend
- Sean Nestor Toledo Move to Amend
- John Ross Single Payer Health care, public heath
- Nancy Larson Expense of running for office, campaigning democratically
- Tony Szilagye Ready for 100 , cost of climate change
- Robert Kemp Economist professor on high cost of Medicare part D
- John Stvartak Health care and personal account.
Success: These presenters must have been very convincing because Council Member Nick Komives announced to me right after that he will bring the Move To Amend resolution to the November 10 council meeting!!
This is what success looks like. Each presenter can wear proudly their contribution to this breakthrough.
Sincerely , Dennis Slotnick, Toledo Move to Amend Secretary/treasurer.