Sandy B wants to volunteer 2021-01-21 18:21:32 -0800
Our campaign goal is to secure 125 co-sponsorships for the #WeThePeopleAmendment (House Joint Resolution 48) before the end of 2022.
To achieve this goal we have identified 135 priority targets based on the previous co-sponsorship of the amendment, Pledge to Amend signers, caucus membership, location (districts, where Move to Amend, has passed initiatives), and voting record/time in Congress.
If your Representative is not on the list below you can definitely still target them, but we suggest starting with the closest Rep to you and recruiting constituents in that District to hold a meeting with their target Representative (or their legislative staff).
Here's what you'll need to do:
- Choose which Representative you're focusing on (see below for the target list, or if your Rep isn't on the campaign target list you can elect to lobby them instead)
- Recruit 3-5 constituents to join you for the meeting
- Schedule the meeting (a Move to Amend national organizer will join you for this meeting)
- Organize a prep call to prepare
- Hold the meeting and ask your Representative to co-sponsor HJR48
- Follow up
- If they don't sign on, time to escalate your tactics! We will help you plan an appropriate action from bombarding their office with phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign to dropping in at their house with Move to Amend petitions! We will work together to decide on any appropriate escalation.
We have provided you with all the tools and resources needed as well as organizing support. You will find the easy step-by-step instructions linked at the bottom of the page. Expect that this effort will take 2-5 hours a week.
TAKE ACTION WEBINAR: Pledge to Amendhttps://youtu.be/yjUWlekp1qUTraining Session on How to Lobby for the We the People Amendmenthttps://youtu.be/fq_pHmOAn0c
--> View targets on a spreadsheet (Google doc, opens in new window)
***Click on each task for related templates and instructions.
STEP 2 -- Recruit 3-5 Constituents to Commit to Join a Meeting with the Representative
- Send an email blast to the Move to Amend list asking people to sign up for the meeting
- Recruit your friends and neighbors through social media, email or text messaging
- Phonebank or text bank the Move to Amend list to ask people to commit to joining the meeting
STEP 3 -- Schedule the Meeting
STEP 4 -- Prepare for the Meeting
- Post the meeting date and time to the Move to Amend website to help promote
- Review background information about the #WeThePeopleAmendment
- Line up a Move to Amend national organizer to join you for the meeting
- Hold a prep call to review meeting roles and make sure you are each clear on what you'll say and how to make sure to get to the ask
- Send a blast to constituents on the Move to Amend list a few days in advance to ensure the office gets calls to put the #WeThePeopleAmendment on their radar before your meeting
STEP 5 -- Hold the Meeting
- Follow an agenda because you'll only have 20-30 minutes
- Take good notes, keep track of any questions you get that you can't answer on the spot and commit to following up with the answer(s)
- Enter the details and notes to the Move to Amend national database
- Make a clear ask: Will you co-sponsor the #WeThePeopleAmendment (HJR48)?
STEP 6 -- Follow up!
- Send a thank-you email with any info requests to the staffer(s) and mail a thank you note to the Representative
- Send email blasts to constituents on the Move to Amend list asking them to call each week to keep the pressure up
- In 2 weeks send an email and/or call the office and ask for a response. Be persistent! Keep trying every 2-3 days until you get a response
STEP 7 -- Celebrate or Escalate!
- Often this is all it takes, especially for Representatives who agree with our goals. But if you don't have a commitment yet it is time to escalate your tactics. We will work with you to determine how to escalate appropriately, from stepping up the phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign, to car parades around their office, to delivering Move to Amend petitions to their home, and more!
Ready to Sign Up?
Will you join me in recruiting our Congress member to co-sponsor the #WeThePeople Amendment?I'LL JOIN YOU
Why I support Move to Amend
I have volunteered for the non-partisan Move to Amend movement for the past eight years over concerns that Big Money is hijacking our democracy. As an American, I believe that the People should be deciding our policies, but that is not happening. Increasingly, behemoth multi-national corporations are dictating policies to our elected officials (whose campaigns they heavily financed) that put their profits over the will of the People.
Take healthcare, for instance. Who is at the table deciding our nation’s healthcare policies? Insurance companies, pharmaceutical corporations, and financial industries, but not us, not the people. No wonder medical debt is the major cause of bankruptcy in this country!
Meanwhile, neither the Republican nor the Democratic Party is proposing policies in Congress that would address the demands of more than seventy percent of Americans who are calling for a fair healthcare system.
How did it get to this point? Through a series of Supreme Court rulings that ceded our constitutional rights to corporations and legitimized unlimited spending in elections. We used to have laws that broke up monopolies and limited donations. Now we have corporatocracy, SuperPACs, and Dark Money. As long as corporations are considered “persons” with inalienable human rights and their political spending is considered “protected speech,” they will be able to assert their demands through their concentration of wealth far more forcefully than real human beings.
It doesn't have to be this way. We can and must take back our democracy. That is why I support Move to Amend. Our We the People Amendment (introduced in Congress January 2017 as House Joint Resolution 48) is the only proposed amendment in Congress that makes clear that constitutional rights belong to human beings, not corporations. It will also get big money out of politics.
Won’t you help us to continue to our work? There are few organizations that stretch a dollar as far as Move to Amend. All but six of its members are volunteers, and those moderately-paid six are as dedicated as they come. Together we have many accomplishments to celebrate despite the pandemic.
In the last year alone, Move to Amend has more than doubled our number of HJR 48 cosponsors in the US House of Representatives and made good headway at getting the We the People Amendment introduced to the US Senate. Over 450,000 people have signed our national petition supporting this amendment. We have over 500 organizational endorsements while more than 800 local resolutions have passed in cities, towns, and counties across the country calling for a 28th Amendment. We’ve been on the ballot over 300 times -- in liberal and conservative communities alike -- and have won every single time, usually in landslides over 60 and even 80 percent!
There are a lot of worthy causes and movements to contribute your time and money to, but we can’t afford to lose sight of the systemic solutions like the We the People Amendment. And to be strong enough to dig deep to the root of the problem, we need a movement organization that can fund itself in a healthy, sustainable way -- independent from political and corporate influence. Please consider joining me as a monthly sustainer for the movement to amend the Constitution!
A sincere thank you for being part of our growing movement to achieve real democracy of, by, and for ALL people!