Milly Harmon wants to volunteer 2021-01-21 16:04:32 -0800
Our campaign goal is to secure 100 co-sponsorships for the #WeThePeopleAmendment (House Joint Resolution 48) by April 30, 2021.
To achieve this goal we have identified 135 priority targets based on previous co-sponsorship of the amendment, Pledge to Amend signers, caucus membership, location (districts where Move to Amend has passed initiatives), and voting record/time in Congress.
If your Representative is not on the list below you can definitely still target them, but we suggest starting with the closest Rep to you and recruiting constituents in that District to hold a meeting with their target Representative (or their legislative staff). Either way we will help you!
Here's what you'll need to do:
- Choose which Representative you're focusing on (see below for the target list, or if your Rep isn't on the campaign target list you can elect to lobby them instead)
- Recruit 3-5 constituents to join you for the meeting
- Schedule the meeting (a Move to Amend national organizer will join you for this meeting)
- Organize a prep call to prepare
- Hold the meeting and ask your Representative to co-sponsor HJR48
- Follow up
- If they don't sign on, time to escalate your tactics! We will help you plan an appropriate action from bombarding their office with phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign to dropping in at their house with Move to Amend petitions! We will work together to decide an appropriate escalation.
We'll provide you with all the tools and resources needed as well as organizing support. You can expect that this effort will take 2-5 hours a week.
--> View targets on spreadsheet (Google doc, opens in new window)
***Click on each task for related templates and instructions.
- Sign up to organize or participate in a lobby meeting on our website.
- We will follow up to connect you to our Slack organizing space and get you plugged in to the campaign
STEP 2 -- Recruit 3-5 Constituents to Commit to Join a Meeting with the Representative
- Send an email blast to the Move to Amend list asking people to sign up for the meeting
- Recruit your friends and neighbors through social media, email or text messaging
- Phonebank or text bank the Move to Amend list to ask people to commit to joining the meeting
STEP 3 -- Schedule the Meeting
STEP 4 -- Prepare for the Meeting
- Post the meeting date and time to the Move to Amend website to help promote
- Review background information about the #WeThePeopleAmendment
- Line up a Move to Amend national organizer to join you for the meeting
- Hold a prep call to review meeting roles and make sure you are each clear on what you'll say and how to make sure to get to the ask
- Send a blast to constituents on the Move to Amend list a few days in advance to ensure the office gets calls to put the #WeThePeopleAmendment on their radar before your meeting
STEP 5 -- Hold the Meeting
- Follow an agenda because you'll only have 20-30 minutes
- Take good notes, keep track of any questions you get that you can't answer on the spot and commit to follow up with the answer(s)
- Enter the details and notes to Move to Amend's national database
- Make a clear ask: Will you co-sponsor the #WeThePeopleAmendment (HJR48)?
STEP 6 -- Follow up!
- Send a thank you email with any info requests to the staffer(s) and mail a thank you note to the Representative
- Send email blasts to constituents on the Move to Amend list asking them to call each week to keep the pressure up
- In 2 weeks send an email and/or call the office and ask for response. Be persistent! Keep trying every 2-3 days until you get a response
STEP 7 -- Celebrate or Escalate!
- Often this is all it takes, especially for Representatives who agree with our goals. But if you don't have a commitment yet it is time to escalate your tactics. We will work with you to determine how to escalate appropriately, from stepping up the phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign, to car parades around their office, to delivering Move to Amend petitions to their home, and more!
Ready to Sign Up?
Milly Harmon published Imagining Real Democracy Discussion Series 2021 Schedule (Jan - Jun) in Minnesota News 2020-12-22 16:50:13 -0800
Imagining Real Democracy Discussion Series
2021 Schedule (Jan - Jun)
→ Printable version of schedule found HERE
DATES: Jan 25, Feb 22, Mar 22, Apr 26, May 24, Jun 28 (fourth Monday)
TIME: 6:45 pm social gathering; 7-8:30 pm discussion
PLACE: from your home using Google Meet
RSVP: PRE-REGISTRATION is required. Email [email protected] to receive an invitation to the online meeting connection, any schedule changes, and the readings in advance of the discussions. Type “Imagining Democracy” in the subject line and please leave your name, phone number and email address.
PREPARATION: For each session there are pre-session readings or videos. Though these materials are very helpful they are not essential for participation.Read more
Milly Harmon donated 2020-10-30 14:47:53 -0700
Milly Harmon published Call Sen Tester and Daines: Co-sponsor We the People Amendment in Montana News 2020-10-24 17:05:25 -0700
Montanans Move to Amend"Corporations aren’t people and money isn’t speech.”
Montana can help overturn Citizens United and end the legal fiction of corporate personhood!
We need 5 US Senate Cosponsors to introduce our 28th Amendment into the Senate.
Will you call your Senators today?
Fundraising is a critical piece of this work, support us by making a donation today!
Will you join me in recruiting our Congress member to co-sponsor the #WeThePeople Amendment?I'LL JOIN YOU
Why I support Move to Amend
Move to Amend's proposed "We The People Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution would make clear that only human beings, not corporations, have Constitutional rights, and spending money in elections is not protected First Amendment speech.
Move to Amend was the very first group to call for overturning the antidemocratic 'Citizens United' Supreme Court case, and is the only national grassroots organization fighting to overturn all corporate constitutional rights. They are also the only amendment group with a strategic plan that spells out how to win!
Yes, there are a lot of worthy political causes to donate to, but I believe that fighting problems will never be enough to save our country if we don’t also work toward solutions. We must keep our eyes on the prize of a systemic solution strong enough to dig out the rot at the roots of our political system, and create a society that works for We the People.
The We the People Amendment is the rare solution that can really deliver that level of positive systemic change! Please join me in starting a monthly donation to Move to Amend today -- let's make this happen!