Elie Mbys-davidson wants to volunteer 2023-04-11 18:37:17 -0700
Our campaign goal is to secure 100 co-sponsorships for the #WeThePeopleAmendment before the end of 2023.
To achieve this goal, we suggest starting with the closest Representative to you and recruiting constituents in that District to hold a meeting with their target Representative (or their legislative staff). Sign up below to get started!
Read the Dear Colleague Letter from Rep. Jayapal, Lead Sponsor for The We the People Amendment here.
Also, check out the Press Release: Jayapal Introduces Constitutional Amendment to Reverse Citizens.
If you do not know who your representative is, go to: Find Your Representative | house.gov
Here's what you'll need to do:
- Choose which Representative you're focusing on (see below for the target list, or if your Rep isn't on the campaign target list you can elect to lobby them instead)
- Recruit 3-5 constituents to join you for the meeting.
- Schedule the meeting (a Move to Amend national organizer will join you for this meeting)
- Organize a prep call to prepare.
- Hold the meeting and ask your Representative to co-sponsor.
- Follow up
- If they don't sign on, time to escalate your tactics! We will help you plan an appropriate action from bombarding their office with phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign to dropping in at their house with Move to Amend petitions! We will work together to decide on any appropriate escalation.
We have provided you with all the tools and resources needed as well as organizing support. You will find the easy step-by-step instructions linked at the bottom of the page. Expect that this effort will take 2-5 hours a week.
Campaign Launch Webinar
***Click on each task for related templates and instructions.
STEP 2 -- Recruit 3-5 Constituents to Commit to Join a Meeting with the Representative
- Send an email blast to the Move to Amend list asking people to sign up for the meeting
- Recruit your friends and neighbors through social media, email or text messaging
- Phonebank or text bank the Move to Amend list to ask people to commit to joining the meeting
STEP 3 -- Schedule the Meeting
STEP 4 -- Prepare for the Meeting
- Watch the August Recess Lobby Training recording!
- Post the meeting date and time to the Move to Amend website to help promote
- Review background information about the #WeThePeopleAmendment
- Line up a Move to Amend national organizer to join you for the meeting
- Hold a prep call to review meeting roles and make sure you are each clear on what you'll say and how to make sure to get to the ask
- Send a blast to constituents on the Move to Amend list a few days in advance to ensure the office gets calls to put the #WeThePeopleAmendment on their radar before your meeting
STEP 5 -- Hold the Meeting
- Follow an agenda because you'll only have 20-30 minutes
- Take good notes, keep track of any questions you get that you can't answer on the spot and commit to following up with the answer(s)
- Enter the details and notes to the Move to Amend national database
- Make a clear ask: Will you co-sponsor the #WeThePeopleAmendment?
STEP 6 -- Follow up!
- Send a thank-you email with any info requests to the staffer(s) and mail a thank you note to the Representative
- Send email blasts to constituents on the Move to Amend list asking them to call each week to keep the pressure up
- In 2 weeks send an email and/or call the office and ask for a response. Be persistent! Keep trying every 2-3 days until you get a response
STEP 7 -- Celebrate or Escalate!
- Often this is all it takes, especially for Representatives who agree with our goals. But if you don't have a commitment yet it is time to escalate your tactics. We will work with you to determine how to escalate appropriately, from stepping up the phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign, to car parades around their office, to delivering Move to Amend petitions to their home, and more!
Ready to Sign Up?
Elie Mbys-davidson wants to volunteer 2022-03-29 16:00:42 -0700
Thanks for your interest in joining Move to Amend!
Move to Amend is a national, grassroots coalition comprised of hundreds of thousands of people committed to ending corporate rule and building a vibrant democracy that represents all people, not just corporate interests. Our volunteers work in their local communities to raise awareness about our movement to amend the Constitution, educate candidates and elected officials, and build support for the We the People Amendment!
After signing up, we'll follow up by phone and email to provide you with details about how to get involved, help you find if there is a local Move to Amend group near you, and if not, talk with you about how to get one started!
What are your interests/skills (check all that apply)?Become a volunteer