Keyan Bliss, Grassroots Director for Move to Amend, just returned from Washington D.C. after meeting with numerous members of Congress on behalf of H.J.Res.48 the #WethePeopleAmendment.
The #WethePeopleAmendment continues to make tremendous progress in the 117th Congress!
Traditionally, Move to Amend staff and volunteers conduct semi-annual in-person meetings with D.C. congressional offices to answer questions and drop off information on HJR48. In years past, responses from legislative staff to these in-person appointments have been very favorable.
Despite strict new guidelines for meeting with congressional offices, Keyan made great strides and was able to:
- Hold in-person meetings with 7 House offices.
- Drop off lobby packets to 25 priority House offices.
- Have particularly productive conversations with the offices of Representatives Bonnie Watson Coleman, Nikema Williams, Marilyn Strickland, and Veronica Escobar. If any of these Congresspeople is your Representative contact them by following the link HERE.
- Make plans with our Lead Sponsor Rep. Jayapal, to hold a December Legislative Briefing for HJR48, and to attend an MTA program marking the 11th anniversary of Citizens United in January!
- Assisted in 3 new members of Congress signing on as cosponsors for HJR48 - bringing the total up to 87 cosponsors.
Thank you for your support of the #WethePeopleAmendment and Move to Amend. This Amendment continues forward, not because of politicians, but because thousands of people across this country believe in it and mobilize behind it. Corporations are not people and money is not speech. Simple and true.
Onward together we go!