Steven Berge rsvped for [ONLINE] Rep. Jayapal - We the People Amendment: 118th Congress 2023-01-20 20:24:37 -0800
Join a live presentation from
U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal
We the People Amendment (HJR48) in the 118th Congress
Friday, January 27 | 11:45 am PT, 2:45 pm ET
Rep. Jayapal has agreed once again to be the lead sponsor of the We the People Amendment -- HJR48 in the 118th Session of Congress -- and wants to build on the success of obtaining 94 co-sponsors in the House of Representatives.
We need to help her build on that success!
The new House of Representatives will be more chaotic than ever.
How can we make sure that the urgency and clarity of our Amendment cuts through the noise and disarray of the likely Congressional distractions and disruptions?
Why is the We the People Amendment calling for ending corporate rule and big money in elections more important in 2023 than ever before?
What are ways to better connect legislative proposals to improve people’s lives, strengthen our communities and ensure a livable world with our Amendment?
Following Rep. Jayapal, hear from and discuss with Move to Amend's new Legislative Director, Dolores Guernica, on Move to Amend’s plans to increase support for HJR48 in the new Congress!
Dolores GuernicaWHENJanuary 27, 2023 at 11:45am
Steven Berge wants to volunteer 2021-04-10 09:36:38 -0700
Our campaign goal is to secure 125 co-sponsorships for the #WeThePeopleAmendment (House Joint Resolution 48) before the end of 2022.
To achieve this goal we have identified 135 priority targets based on the previous co-sponsorship of the amendment, Pledge to Amend signers, caucus membership, location (districts, where Move to Amend, has passed initiatives), and voting record/time in Congress.
If your Representative is not on the list below you can definitely still target them, but we suggest starting with the closest Rep to you and recruiting constituents in that District to hold a meeting with their target Representative (or their legislative staff).
Here's what you'll need to do:
- Choose which Representative you're focusing on (see below for the target list, or if your Rep isn't on the campaign target list you can elect to lobby them instead)
- Recruit 3-5 constituents to join you for the meeting
- Schedule the meeting (a Move to Amend national organizer will join you for this meeting)
- Organize a prep call to prepare
- Hold the meeting and ask your Representative to co-sponsor HJR48
- Follow up
- If they don't sign on, time to escalate your tactics! We will help you plan an appropriate action from bombarding their office with phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign to dropping in at their house with Move to Amend petitions! We will work together to decide on any appropriate escalation.
We have provided you with all the tools and resources needed as well as organizing support. You will find the easy step-by-step instructions linked at the bottom of the page. Expect that this effort will take 2-5 hours a week.
TAKE ACTION WEBINAR: Pledge to Amendhttps://youtu.be/yjUWlekp1qUTraining Session on How to Lobby for the We the People Amendmenthttps://youtu.be/fq_pHmOAn0c
--> View targets on a spreadsheet (Google doc, opens in new window)
***Click on each task for related templates and instructions.
STEP 2 -- Recruit 3-5 Constituents to Commit to Join a Meeting with the Representative
- Send an email blast to the Move to Amend list asking people to sign up for the meeting
- Recruit your friends and neighbors through social media, email or text messaging
- Phonebank or text bank the Move to Amend list to ask people to commit to joining the meeting
STEP 3 -- Schedule the Meeting
STEP 4 -- Prepare for the Meeting
- Post the meeting date and time to the Move to Amend website to help promote
- Review background information about the #WeThePeopleAmendment
- Line up a Move to Amend national organizer to join you for the meeting
- Hold a prep call to review meeting roles and make sure you are each clear on what you'll say and how to make sure to get to the ask
- Send a blast to constituents on the Move to Amend list a few days in advance to ensure the office gets calls to put the #WeThePeopleAmendment on their radar before your meeting
STEP 5 -- Hold the Meeting
- Follow an agenda because you'll only have 20-30 minutes
- Take good notes, keep track of any questions you get that you can't answer on the spot and commit to following up with the answer(s)
- Enter the details and notes to the Move to Amend national database
- Make a clear ask: Will you co-sponsor the #WeThePeopleAmendment (HJR48)?
STEP 6 -- Follow up!
- Send a thank-you email with any info requests to the staffer(s) and mail a thank you note to the Representative
- Send email blasts to constituents on the Move to Amend list asking them to call each week to keep the pressure up
- In 2 weeks send an email and/or call the office and ask for a response. Be persistent! Keep trying every 2-3 days until you get a response
STEP 7 -- Celebrate or Escalate!
- Often this is all it takes, especially for Representatives who agree with our goals. But if you don't have a commitment yet it is time to escalate your tactics. We will work with you to determine how to escalate appropriately, from stepping up the phone calls, to organizing a letter-writing campaign, to car parades around their office, to delivering Move to Amend petitions to their home, and more!
Ready to Sign Up?
Steven Berge donated 2021-02-23 08:19:29 -0800