There are two ways to create change: by having lots of organized money or lots of organized people. Since MTA isn’t flush with cash from billionaires or business corporations, our route to build power to help create real democracy is to recruit and organize people at the grassroots.
That’s why we’re organizing Summer Signature Saturdays
We need to add more people to our base. Our goal is to recruit 10,000 more supporters by the end of the summer – which will get us to 500,000.
How do we recruit more supporters?
The major way over the next several months is to designate one Saturday each month for Move to Amend volunteer leaders (like you!) to spend at least 1 hour collecting signatures on our Motion to Amend petition.
- The top 2 individuals who collect the most signatures that day will receive a cool MTA t-shirt to wear – maybe for the next time they go out to petition!
- MTA affiliates who organize several individuals to petition and submit signatures all together will be recognized on our website and in our monthly newsletter.
Check out the Leaderboard here!
The next Summer Signature Saturday is this Saturday!
Can you commit to collecting signatures wherever you this Saturday? Feel free to recruit one or more friends!
If so, email [email protected]
Where to petition in your community
Public places to petition: farmers markets, festivals, parades, sidewalks in commercial districts, your neighborhood, libraries, post offices, bus stops, parks
- Place petitions on clipboard or sturdy piece of cardboard with a large clip
- Try to get 1 sheet of signatures from your family members, friends or neighbors – even if they’ve already signed – and place the full sheet on top. The first few signatures are always the hardest when the petition is blank. Having a full sheet from the start will make it more comfortable for people you approach to sign when they see several have already done so.
- Consider taking 2 sets of petitions. This saves time if you come across 2 or more people and they are more likely to sign
- Use only black or blue ink. No red ink or pencils. Take one or more extra pens
- Ask people to PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY
- Quickly check after each person has signed to make sure you can read all the information. If necessary, fill in for them what you can’t read
- Please encourage that at least name, city, zip code and email are filled in. Emails allow us to send educational and action updates – including how to get more involved.
- Don’t petition in the rain. Rain and paper are a bad combination.
Want to participate but cannot get out this weekend?
Another way to engage is by asking people to sign the petition via your personalized link. Everyone that signs the petition from your link will be credited to you.
You can find your personal recruiter link here: https://www.movetoamend.org/recruit
Email [email protected] if you plan to collect petition signatures . We’ll send further details before the date.
Thank you for helping Move to Amend grow and build power for helping create real democracy!