We the People Dispatch
Contents of this Newsletter:
- Minnesota State Fair: Success Report
We the People bill (SF2038 / HF2701) at the Minnesota Legislature
- Amendment on a Stick Delivery
HJR48 (We the People Amendment bill) Introduced in Congress
- Constituent Communication is Democracy in Action
Help Expand our Base
- Make It Known - Democracy is a Human Right
Local Affiliate Meetings
- Minneapolis Area
- Lakes Area (North Central)
- Saint Paul Area
- Duluth Area
- SE MN (Rochester & Winona) Area
- Adopt the Move to Amend Resolution - Become an Endorsing Organization
- Endorsing Organizations have Adopted the Move to Amend Resolution
# # #
Minnesota State Fair: Success Report
ACTION 1: Continue the momentum. Ask friends and relatives to sign the petition at https://movetoamend.org
ACTION 2: Email minnesota [at] movetoamend.org to let us know you want to learn more, get involved or want specific information.
A committed team of volunteers had a very fulfilling time at the Great Minnesota Get Together. The conversations with people from around the state confirmed that the mission of Move to Amend has broad support.
Eight hundred seventy-nine (879) people added their name to the petition to affirm that “We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling and other related cases, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish that money is not speech and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.”
The Amendment on a Stick asks Minnesota State Senators and Representatives to cosponsor the bills introduced last year by Senator John Mary and Representative Raymond Dehn. There were 938 completed. See the next article to learn how to assist in delivering them.
# # #
We the People bills (SF2038 / HF2701) at the Minnesota Legislature
Amendment on a Stick Delivery
ACTION: Join in delivering the Amendments on a Stick. Email minnesota [at] movetoamend.org to let us know your interest. Type “Delivery Team’ in the subject line.
The Amendments on a Stick were a hit at the Minnesota State Fair. We got together with SEIU at the AFL-CIO booth and offered our version of the state fair theme. 938 people have asked us to deliver to their state senator and representative this message.
Call on Congress to pass a Constitutional Amendment stating:
- The rights protected by the Constitution of the United State are the rights of natural persons only.
- Money contributed and spent in campaigns is not a First Amendment free speech right therefore can be regulated and must be disclosed.
Please champion HF2701 (MN House) SF2038 (MN Senate).
Make Minnesota the 21st state to make this request of Congress.
Now we will be delivering them and this is where you come in. We would like at least one constituent to be part of each delivery team. Let us know if you would like to be part of a team.
# # #
HJR48 (We the People Amendment bill) Introduced in US Congress
Constituent Communication is Democracy in Action
ACTION: Thank Representatives McCollum, Omar, Craig and Phillips. Ask Rep Stauber, Peterson, Emmer, Hagedorn to become cosponsors of HJR48.
ACTION: Ask Senators Smith and Klobuchar to join with other US Senators to introduce a companion bill to HJR48 (House Joint Resolution 48).
Click for links to their contact information.
- Message to Representative McCollum: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents and am so pleased that you have again cosponsored the We the People Amendment bill (HJR48). I’m pleased you are the first cosponsor named. Thank you!
- Message to Representatives Omar, Craig, Phillips: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents. I learned that you have become a cosponsor of HJR48, the We the People Amendment bill. Thank so much.
- Message to Representatives Petersen, Hagedorn, Emmer and Stauber: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents. I am concerned about the influence that outside and undisclosed money has on our elections. I am concerned that big corporations and unions have more influence through their money than human beings do through their voices. Therefore I support the We the People Amendment bill. Please cosponsor HJR48.
- Message to Senators Smith and Klobuchar: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents. I am concerned about the influence that outside and undisclosed money has on our elections. I am concerned that big corporations and unions have more influence through their money than human beings do through their voices. Therefore I support HJR48, the We the People Amendment bill. Please work with other senators to get a companion bill introduced in the Senate.
# # #
Help Expand the Base
Make It Known - Democracy is a Human Right
“We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.” Louis D. Brandeis, former Supreme Court Justice.
Any movement starts with people voicing their concern, making a commitment and joining other similarly concerned neighbors.
We have Move to Amenders in every House and Senate District in Minnesota which demonstrates the widespread concern people have about our democracy. You can help us double the number by asking people in your community to sign the petition.
There are 3 ways people can sign the petition that says –
We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling and other related cases, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights
You can help gather signatures in support of the petition statement. It is the best way to educate the public. Community festivals, political rallies, farmers' markets, grocery stores, film screenings, picnics of local organizations, and other local events can provide good opportunities for outreach.
To learn more about Move to Amend go to https://movetoamend.org
For help and more information about the efforts in Minnesota, please email Barbara at minnesota [at] movetoamend.org
# # #
Local Affiliate Events
ACTION: Attend an Affiliate Event. Receive affiliate Facebook posts.
MINNEAPOLIS AREA: Help make democracy an issue.
The church is located one-half block west of the corner of Hennepin Avenue South and West 28th Street. FREE parking is across the street from the church on the west side of the parking lot.
Contact: Debbie at minneapolis [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - Minneapolis Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/187282821402746/?ref=bookmarks
Contact: Roger at brainerd [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - Lakes Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/712167322316204/
SAINT PAUL AREA:
Our Imagining Real Democracy - Discussion Series will resume in September
Fall (Sep-Nov) Discussion Topics but not necessarily in this order:
- For-Profit Prisons
- Negotiating Partnerships
- Equity in the Food System
Contact: Becky at saintpaul [at] movetoamend.org
Buy your meal and gather in the meeting room at 6 pm.
Pre-register at saintpaul [at] movetomaned.org to receive readings in advance of the discussion. Type “Imagining Democracy” in the subject line. This is not necessary but will be helpful for your participation.
- Facebook Group - St Paul Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/St.PaulAreaMoveToAmend/
DULUTH AREA: Contact Barbara at duluth [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - Duluth Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DuluthAreaMTA/
SE MN (Rochester & Winona) Area: Contact Barbara at minnesota [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - SE MN (Rochester & Winona) Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RochesterAreaMTA/
# # #
Adopt the Move to Amend Resolution - Become an Endorsing Organization
ACTION: Find the resolution and instructions here.
# # #
Endorsing Organizations - Adopted the Move to Amend Resolution
Peace: Anti-War Committee * Friends for a NonViolent World (FNVW) * GlobalSolutionsMN.org * Grandmothers for Peace – Twin Cities * Minnesota Alliance of Peacemakers * Twin Cities Peace Campaign * Veterans for Peace Chapter 27 * Women Against Military Madness
Faith Communities: Macalester Plymouth United Church * Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Duluth * Oak Grove Presbyterian Church * St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church * The Presbytery of the Twin Cities Area
Health: MN Citizens Federation NE
Business: Progpen Consulting, Inc
Other: Edina Indivisible Minnesota * Indivisible I (International) Falls * Minnesota chapter of the Progressive Independent Party * N.E. Metro Progressives * Occupy Saint Paul