The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a clear example of the domination of corporations over our economy and our democracy.
Along with many of the egregious components of the agreement is President Obama's misdirected attempt to fast track the agreement (pdf) through Congress with no debate or amendments.
On Thursday, January 9, Senators Max Baucus (D-MT) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT) introduced the Trade Priorities Act of 2014 (pdf) in order to pass the TPP as soon as negotiations are completed. The bill also gives Obama sole authority to negotiate the agreement -- leaving Congress and the American public out of the loop.
While passing the We the People Amendment remains our highest priority, at certain moments in time, we are required to shift gears in order to prevent corporations from amassing even more power and influence over our economy and democracy. One of those moments is upon us.
Please take action today:
- If you are a social network user, please join the "Stop Fast Track Now Thunderclap" by noon ET today.
- If you can make a phone call to your member of Congress, click here.
- If you prefer to send an email, use this letter as a starting point and contact your Representative via this link.
Learn more about the TPP:
- Listen to the Move to Amend Reports podcast on the TPP, featuring Arthur Stamoulis of Citizens Trade Campaign, Nancy Price of the Alliance for Democracy and the MTA National Leadership Team, and Ruth Caplan of the Alliance for Democracy.
- Make your community a TPP-Free Zone.
- For more resources and actions, visit Expose the TPP. org.
Vast implications across a broad array of issue arenas have resulted in a union of millions of Americans opposed to the TPP. If each of us does our part, we can stop it. Please take action today.