Corporation like Elcon hold great power in America and we the people of our great country are limited in holding corporations like Elcon accountable for polluting our environment because today Corporations Are People.
Because of this:
- DEP or EPA cannot do surprise inspections of corporations without search warrant
- Potentially allowing cover up of any wrongdoing.
- Corporations have a right to engage in polluting activities and the people of lack a constitutional right to stop them
- Should communities be able to protect their health, safety, and well-being? If Elcon builds a waste treatment plant, will it open up the way for similar plants?
- Corporation has constitutional rights of a person and can sue American citizens for causing it “mental anguish and emotional distress.”
- Should we be afraid of SLAPP suite ( Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation )
- Citizens can’t restrict the transport of waste through their communities since the corporations are protected under the Constitution (Art 1, Sec 8) –under the Commerce Clause
These laws are all based on the illogical legal precedent that invented in 1886.
Corporations are no longer legal entities created just for our convenience in doing business together but are now also used as instruments of great power and control.
Corporate Rule means our government works for special interests instead of people
Move to Amend is dedicated to: Amending the Constitution to abolish Corporate Rule and Restore Democracy. Please Sign the We The People Amendment and reverse the invention of “corporate personhood”. http://movetoamend.com/motion
Other examples of corporate rule:
- No state laws can require companies to disclose product origins (International Dairy v. Amnestoy, 1996), thus creating “negative free speech rights” for corporations and preventing us from knowing what’s in our food.
- Citizens prohibited from defending their local businesses and community from corporate chains encroachment and from enacting progressive taxes on chain stores. (Liggett v. Lee, 1933)
- State can’t make laws restricting corporate spending on ballot initiatives and referenda, enabling corporations to block citizen action through what, theoretically, is the purest form of democracy. (First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti).
- Money equals speech, and this opened the floodgates to unlimited political spending 10 years ago
· Timeline of Personhood Rights & Powers movetoamend.org/timeline
· How does Corporate Rule affect my life? http://movetoamend.org/corporate-rule
Corporate Personhood was invented in 1886 with the case of Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad - one in a long series of Supreme Court cases that entrenched “corporate personhood” in law.
As a result courts have struck down hundreds of local, state and federal laws enacted to protect people from corporate harm based on this illegitimate premise. Armed with these “rights,” corporations wield ever-increasing control over jobs, natural assets, politicians, even judges and the law.
· Right to harm Environment - http://movetoamend.org/corporate-personhood-and-right-harm-environment
Spread the word! Share the news on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Invite your friends to join Move to Amend (share this link: http://MoveToAmend.org/join)
Thank Rep. Jayapal - send her a message welcoming her to Team Move to Amend! https://oneclickpolitics.com/messages/edit?promo_id=5086 https://bit.ly/2T81AQx
Contact your member of Congress and ask them to co-sponsor H.J.R. 48, the We the People Amendment next year! https://bit.ly/2EAP1HC